ReLEx SMILE Procedure
The latest technology and a faster recovery after laser vision correction
An introduction to ReLEx SMILE
ReLEx ® SMILE is a minimally invasive Health Canada approved treatment for nearsightedness (myopia) and astigmatism. SMILE is the latest advancement in laser vision correction technology.
1 million people have had SMILE
SMILE has a 10-year track record of success
Over 1,300 surgeons worldwide perform SMILE
SMILE accounts for 10% of all laser vision correction procedures worldwide and growing.
ReLEx SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction or SMILE for short.
Clearview Institute is the first clinic in Canada to offer SMILE to its patients.
Can YOU be glasses free? Find out in 60 seconds
Discover today if SMILE is right for you
by taking our online self-test!
What conditions does SMILE address?
Those patients with higher degrees of nearsightedness (myopia -0.5 to -10D) with or without astigmatism (0 to +5D) can now benefit from this bladeless, flapless and gentle refractive procedure. We only use one laser for the process from start to finish.
How ReLEx SMILE works
- We first administer numbing drops to eliminate any discomfort.
- Using the ZEISS VisuMax ® femtosecond laser, we make a small incision and create a pre-calculated mini lens tissue (or lenticule) inside the cornea.
- We then remove the lens tissue through the tiny incision.
- Once we remove it, the shape of the cornea changes which results in the correct refractive outcome.
- Your vision is corrected.
What’s special about SMILE?
- SMILE’s minimally invasive surgery is increasingly becoming the standard of care in many medical fields, including ophthalmology.
- SMILE is a gentle Laser Vision Correction procedure that requires only a small incision.
- Most of the upper layers of the cornea are unaffected with SMILE. This offers the potential for more biomechanical stability of the eye12 and fast healing34.
- SMILE is a comfortable treatment. Patients generally feel no discomfort during the procedure567.
- SMILE marks an exciting stage. It is a true advancement.
- SMILE has very good predictability of the visual outcome resulting in a low rate of post-surgical corrections.89.
Requires no flap
- SMILE requires no flap, and therefore, patients do not experience the fear associated with the flap.
- SMILE minimizes the damage of the outer corneal layers (stronger cornea, more stability).
- There are no flap-related complications and side effects generally associated with LASIK (e.g. flap detachment, flap displacement, foreign body sensation).
- Low incidence of dry eye syndrome
- Low risk of infection
- In SMILE, the incision transects fewer corneal nerves101112, which are responsible for stimulating tear film production. Thus, recovery of corneal sensitivity is fast and tear function normal.
- SMILE is an attractive option for athletes engaged in contact sports, flight crews, military and rescue personnel.
Generally fast visual recovery
- Patients having SMILE typically experience full visual recovery within a few days following surgery.
- Most patients experience good functional vision shortly after SMILE surgery. Normally, the vision fully stabilizes within a week.
- SMILE is so gentle that it is normally possible to go to work, drive, apply makeup or take a shower within a few days following surgery.
- Patients with a contact lens intolerance or dry eyes can benefit from the minimally invasive SMILE procedure1314151617181920212223.
Supports a comfortable, convenient, stress-free patient experience
- The surgeon performs the entire procedure on a single laser, thereby saving time.
- Odorless and noiseless, the laser works silently.
- SMILE delivers predominantly excellent visual results242526.
- Supports a convenient treatment experience.
- Very short laser application time
- The procedure itself takes only a few minutes.
- The procedure is virtually pain-free.
How do you know ReLEx SMILE is right for you?
Clearview Institute is at the forefront of this minimally invasive and flapless SMILE technology. As our patient, we can assure you that we will tailor the right visual solution for you. It is easy to find out for sure if you are a good candidate by contacting Clearview Institute.
What does ReLEx SMILE look like?
Take the first step towards great natural vision
Call us on 416-445-8439 or click to book an appointment:
Videos and more information about ReLEx SMILE
Watch a video below and learn more about laser eye surgery
Toronto Laser Eye Surgery Clinic
We help Torontonians from 20 to 80+ get freedom from contacts and glasses so they can squeeze the goodness out of every second
“To all Clearview Staff, thank you for making me feel so comfortable during my pre-op and LASIK procedure. I was very nervous and you all were so kind. I appreciate all your expertise and Tender Love and Care.”
“Dr. Kranemann is an EXCELLENT Ophthalmologist!! He helped my father’s vision with amazing results and we are truly grateful. Dr. Kranemann is a perfectionist and a remarkable professional who cares about the patient. He works very hard to help everyone, and his staff is wonderful and very kind. Dr. Kranemann is focused on the patient’s vision with extreme care and efficiency at every appointment.”
“Thank you so very much for the expert care before, during, and after my SMILE procedure. State of the art facility, world renowned surgeon, seasoned staff…I am thrilled.”
“Had the new vision correction procedure SMILE. WOW is all I can say. Life without glasses is amazing. Great surgeon and medical staff. Will refer his expertise on to family and friends.”
“I found Dr. Kranemann very kind, I was very nervous and he went out of his way to make sure that I understood everything he was going to do. His staff are very nice and helpful. He is a great doctor, I’m glad I have him.”
“Dear Dr. Kranemann, Many thanks in the nice, smooth and trouble free cataract surgery you carried out on both my eyes at Clearview Institute. I would like also to extend my thanks to all the staff of clearview. They are efficient, kind hearted and very helpful. I wish all of you the continued success you well deserved.”
“Dr. Kranemann is exceptionally intelligent and experienced. He is passionate about achieving perfect results for his patients, and proved it by correcting my father’s vision perfectly. We are very happy and grateful and highly recommend Dr. Kranemann.”
Call us on 416-445-8439
Or, request a call back by clicking the button below:
Accreditations and Memberships
We are proud to be associated with the following professional organizations: