ReLEx SMILE Procedure
The ReLEx SMILE procedure is a minimally invasive Health Canada approved treatment for nearsightedness (myopia) and astigmatism and is the very latest in laser vision correction technology. ReLEx SMILE stands for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction or SMILE for short.
Clearview Vision Institute is the first clinic in Canada to offer this new technology to its patients. Those patients with higher degrees of nearsightedness (myopia) can now benefit from this bladeless, flapless and gentle refractive procedure. Only one femtosecond laser is used for the entire procedure.
How It Works
- Numbing drops are administered to eliminate any discomfort.
- Using the femtosecond laser a small incision is made along with the creation of a pre-calculated mini lens tissue or lenticule inside the cornea.
- The lens tissue or lenticule is then removed through the tiny incision.Once removed the shape of the cornea is changed which results in the correct refractive outcome. Your vision is corrected.
Benefits Of ReLEx Smile Laser Vision Correction Procedure
- There have been only three generations of vision correction in the last 30 years. PRK, Lasik and now SMILE…. SMILE is the third generation which combines the advantages of both PRK and Lasik. SMILE eliminates the corneal flap or the prolonged healing time of a surface ablation.
- The SMILE procedure leaves most of the top corneal layers intact, it allows for a more stable cornea.
- The actual incision made by the laser is 85% smaller.
- SMILE is faster to perform since there is only one laser.
- Patients with thin corneas can successfully be treated with the SMILE technology and thereby giving them a faster recovery time than PRK.
- Higher degrees of myopia and astigmatism can be treated.
Clearview Vision Institute is at the forefront of this minimally invasive and flapless SMILE technology. As our patient you can be assured that we will tailor the right visual solution for you.
ReLEx Smile FAQs
1. What is ReLEx SMILE?
It is a flapless minimally invasive and gentle refractive procedure for correcting higher degrees of myopia with or without astigmatism.
2. How Does SMILE work?
The one femtosecond laser creates a miniscule incision at the side of the cornea and at the same time a circular disc of tissue inside the cornea which is then removed through the tiny incision. The newly reshaped cornea gives you the desired visual results.
3. Does the SMILE procedure hurt?
Numbing drops are administered prior to beginning the procedure so there is no discomfort.
4. How long does the SMILE procedure take?
Because there is only one laser being used, the procedure is faster than other refractive procedures. The whole treatment takes less than 15 minutes with the actual laser utilized for only a fraction of that time.
5. How long does it take to heal?
It is similar to LASIK, but you may find your vision is blurry for a little longer right after the procedure. Follow up appointments include the next day and then at intervals lasting for up to 12 months.
6. How will I know if I am a good candidate for the ReLEx SMILE technology?
The candidacy requirements are similar to those for LASIK. You need to be at least 18 years of age, not pregnant and have a stable prescription for the last year, and you should have no signs of past eye health issues or diseases.
It is easy to find out for sure if you are a good candidate by contacting Clearview Vision Institute..
I just finished my six month post op appt after successfully having the SMILE Vision procedure! I simply want to say thank you to Dr. Kranemann for giving me my eye sight back after 15 years of contact lenses and glasses. I’m amazed by how clearly and quickly my vision was restored. Also, a special thanks to Dr. Yu for the follow up checks she did for me. Never met a doctor that can explain things so clearly and kindly. A kind thank you to Raedene who put my mind at ease before the surgery, explaining the incredible results she too has had from her vision correction procedure… She gave me the confidence “I could do this”. I will recommend Dr. Kranemann, his staff and the SMILE Vision procedure to anyone in a heart-beat. “CLEARVIEW” you couldn’t have picked a better name for your institute. With Gratitude,
Dr. Christoph Kranemann, Medical Director of Clearview Vision Institute
I have wanted to have vision correction for many years, but because of my dry eyes I was hesitant to proceed with LASIK and do to my job was unable to commit to the healing time of PRK. I came to Clearview hoping for another solution another chance to reconsider my options. The doctors and staff were very patient with me explaining all treatments. I decided to go for the SMILE vision procedure. The procedure was gentle, had all the benefits of LASIK but without the flap, less chance of dry eye with fast recovery unlike PRK. I had my procedure the summer of 2016 and couldn’t be happier. The feeling of not having to wear glasses after 25 years is truly exhilarating! Thanks again.